Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Author Interview with Kristin Mayer




Name:  Kristin Mayer

State:  Arkansas

What have you written?


My first novel, Trust Me, will release this fall.  It is part of the Trust Series Trilogy.  Love Me will be the second book in the series followed by Promise Me.  I have loved this journey in releasing my first novel and all the wonderful authors and fans I have gotten to meet along the way.


May we have a peek at your cover?




What is your favorite genre to write?

Romance, Romance, Romance.   


Favorite food.

I am going to have to give my favorite meal on this one.  Every year my mom makes us a birthday dinner and we get to choose the entire menu.  For as long as I can remember I have picked the exact same meal.  Drum roll please…Fried Eggplant, Parmesan Chicken, Cream Cheese Creamed Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole and Strawberry Salad.   I cannot wait for October to get here after writing all that out!  Mom, if you are reading this I would not object to having this meal twice this year.  (Psst – Dad, I wouldn’t mind some smoked ribs either while I’m throwing all the hints around!!!)


Where would you like to visit?

Traveling is one of my favorite past times.  I could literally talk hours and hours about places I would love to visit and see.  Meeting new people, experiencing new cultures, trying out the local foods are just a few of the things I love about traveling.  I actually lived in Mexico for a summer with a host family and attended a college there to finish up my degree.  I’ve been to various places in Europe, Asia and South America.  Without a doubt the next place I would want to go is Australia. 


Favorite musical artist.

I have an eclectic taste in music and it depends on my mood as to what I listen too.  So for this question, I took the first ten artists that I’m currently running to from my IPod.  When I actually wrote the list down for this question, I was a little shocked how many genres of music I passed through.  The top twenty artists is even crazier.
Georgia Florida Line, Beetles, Big & Rich, Bonnie Tyler, Avril Lavigne, Fall Out Boy, Demi Lovato, Ginny Blackmore, Throwing Copper, Taylor Swift


How old were you when you started writing?

I’ve always loved writing whether it was fictional stories for English or research papers for Economics.  I enjoy how one word turns into two and through a lot of hard work you end up with a finished product that conveys a piece of you in some way or another. 


Where do you get your inspiration?

I get it from everywhere; both life experiences and my imagination. 


What do you do when you get a writer's block?

I go for a run.  I started running about five years ago and have loved it ever sense.  I’m not a fast runner, but enjoy participating in 5k’s on occasion.  I run all year long in pretty much any kind of weather.  There’s something about a run when it’s just me, the road, and my music that allows me to gather my thoughts and isolate the block that is keeping me from advancing the story.


Who is your favorite author?

Oh wow, there’s no way I could pick.  That would be like asking me to name a favorite star in the universe.  There’s so many wonderful talented authors out there.  Reading a book is like traveling, it takes you to another place and allows you to experience something magical.  It takes you on a journey.  Every book I have ever read has had something, small or big, about it that I loved. 


Best book you ever read.

Same thing as the author question.  There’s just no way.  I would have to sit her and ponder that for days and would end up right where I am now; not having a clue on how to pick.  It’s one of the things that inspired my weekly giveaways I’m doing currently.  Each week I pick one of the many books I have loved reading and am giving it away to share some of the wonderful works of some of the authors I have had the privilege of reading their books until my own book releases.


Who is the one person who has influence your personal life the most and why?

There have been so many people that have influenced me and are stilling influencing me in my personal life; husband, daughter, mom, dad, stepmom, stepdad, friends…
However without a doubt, the person who has had the most influence on my personal life would be my Grandmama.  She taught me so much about life, love and happiness.  She had a tenacity about her that was indescribable.  When she had a dream, she went after it whole heartedly and embraced the journey along the way.  She loved with her whole heart. 


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

Scarlett from Gone with the Wind.  Gone with the Wind is one of my all-time favorite movies.  I think I could literally say the dialogue without watching it.  I love the carriages, the dances, the dresses.  Did I mention the dresses???  Here’s a bit of geek trivia about me.  When I was younger, for three summers solid I mowed my parent’s yard for twenty dollars a cut (it was over an acre of mowing which took around five to six hours – needless to say it was a lot of mowing).  I took my money at the end of each summer and bought one oil painting from one of my favorite scenes from the movie.  Yes, I still have those paintings and they actually hang in my guest bedroom.  I’ll never be able to part with them and think fondly about going round and round on that little red snapper lawn mower; which brings a smile to my face.  When my daughter gets older it’ll be a story I share with her that reminds me of the stories I heard as a kid.  You know the ones where your parents walked up hill both ways to school in ten feet of snow.  Yep and I can remember as I kid saying, ‘I’ll never do that!’


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?

I haven’t officially released my first book so the journey has yet to be completed for me.  However, along the way I have made some fantastic friends, met some wonderful authors and received some phenomenal advice.  I’ll share the advice I’ve been living by thus far: 
Write for you; it’s your story to share with the world. 
Things will get tough and just know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that’s publication day. (I have repeated this motto so many times in my head.  If the author who gave this advice to me reads this…Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!)
Make sure your book goes through some sort of editing process. (This has been the most repeated piece of advice I have received).
Find a writing group.  It’s a wonderful experience to have a group that you can ask any questions about because more than likely there’s someone right there with you that has the same question. 



Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment