Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Author Interview with Susan Tarr

Susan Tarr
Tauranga, New Zealand




Hello, Susan.  Welcome to Vision and Verse.  We are glad to have you with us.  What have you written?
MIRANDA BAY and SEACLIFF are both published. Another title is due for release 2014.

What is your favorite genre to write?
Romantic comedy/humour and historical fiction

Favorite food.
Chocolate and cheese. Fondu and kiwifruit.

Where would you like to visit?
Greece. To where The Lotus Eaters was filmed. Been a longing for 30 years. I have traveled most of the globe but planned Greece for a later trip, which never eventuated. Originally I sailed to Kenya by 28ft yacht from New Zealand. Then I settled in Kenya for 10 years and had my darling girls. Back then every place was attainable.

Favorite musical artist.
Currently NZ's own Stan Walker, Pink and Adele 

What makes you laugh?
My daughter. She's often one of the characters I write about. Love her to bits with all her made-up words.

How old were you when you started writing?
Seriously writing? I was 30 years old. Living in Kenya. Writing long letters home to Mum. Reassuring her my kiddies were not growing up wild, were wearing real clothes and were speaking real English among other languages.

Very interesting.  Where do you get your inspiration?
From people. Real people make real characters and those characters sparkle and engage from page one.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
I generally have 3 books on the go at the same time. When I am stuck in one, I switch to another. Even if it's only editing my work. I keep current with my characters and settings so spend time updating cellphones and fashions.

Who is your favorite author?
Another tricky one. Paulo Coelho, Joseph Heller, Louis de Bernieres

Best book you ever read.
I would love to be cheeky enough to answer SEACLIFF but I have read many great books and would find it difficult to settle on one title. So how about two for starters? 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' & 'God Knows'.

SEACLIFF is on my To Read List.  Who is the one person who has influence your personal life the most and why?
My mum, of course. She grew me and groomed me towards my being the woman I am today. When Mum died my daughter took over. She's more blunt.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
My Mum and Dad. It's only as I get older and less selfish that I realise all the things I would have loved to have asked them about. We miss those opportunities only once they have gone.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Just start writing. I often come up with a really good title. I often come up with a really good ending. It doesn't matter where you start. Just start. The 'book' will soon follow.
Covers?

Thank you, Susan, you are delightful.  Good luck to you.  Come back and talk to us again when your new book comes out next year.
Okay, I will.

Do you any links for us?

Email: susan.m.tarr@gmail.com
(2010) TARR, S. Miranda Bay. (Auckland, Mackay Books)
RRP $29.95. ISBN 978-0-9582914-3-9 
(2013) TARR, S. Seacliff: a Regular Boy Within. (Tauranga, Oceanbooks.)
RRP $29.95. ISBN 978-1-927215-31-9
ePub ISBN 978-1-927215-32-6
Mobi ISBN 978-1-927215-33-3

No comments:

Post a Comment