Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Interview with Author Allison Butler

Allison Butler
Sydney NSW Australia.


Welcome, Allison, to Vision and Verse.  We are delighted to have you with us this morning all the way from Sydney, Australia.  What have you written?
I write Scottish historical romance set in the medieval era. The Border Laird's Bride was published by Destiny Romance in February 2013. I'm now writing my next Scottish medieval, but I've also just finished writing my very first short story. It has a Christmas theme and is set in Australia during World War 2.

The Border Laird's Bride is on my To Be Read list.  It sounds like my kind of story.  What is your favorite genre to write? 
I love writing Scottish historical romance.

Favorite food.
Everything:) I love food! But if I have to name just one thing it'd have to be Spaghetti Bolognese.

Where would you like to visit?
Scotland is heart-stirring and holds a forever fascination for me.  I'd love to go back. But I'd also like to visit Prague. I've heard it's beautiful.

Favorite musical artist.Do you listen to music when you write?  What?
I don't have a favorite musical artist, I have many. Queen, FUN, Pink, RunRig (a Scottish band), James Morrison, most 80's music, just to name a few. What music I listen to depends on what mood I'm in. And I do love to dance like no one's watching. As much as I love listening to music I can't when I'm writing. I need quiet so I can hear my characters.

What makes you laugh?
Lots of things make me laugh. I love humor and think it's such an important part of life. But I can't resist hearing a baby laughing. Or someone enjoying a genuine belly-laugh. The sound is contagious.

How old were you when you started writing? 
The idea to write popped into my head when I was about 34. I started dabbling then but started taking it more seriously 5 years later.

Where do you get your inspiration? 
Life. People fascinate me. I'm always wondering why they react in certain ways or do certain things. My characters fascinate me, too.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
For me, writers block usually means I've taken a wrong turn somewhere in the story. I go back to the last decision a character made and often find it wasn't the right decision for that character. I change it and most times find the story flows again.

Who is your favorite author?
Marsha Canham. I love her voice.

Best book you ever read.
Too hard to name only one. Anything written by Marsha Canham. The Heiress by Jude Deveraux. These Hallowed Hills by Ana Leigh. I'll stop now:)

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
My Scottish husband truly is my hero. He is so grounded and fair and generous. He keeps life real and happy and keeps me honest. He amazes me.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
I really struggled with this question. I thought it should be some Scottish historical figure to fit in with my love of Scotland and its history. But then I realized I was looking in the wrong place. If I could sit down and have a conversation with one person I would choose my Mum. Sadly she passed away twenty-one years ago. I miss her and we'd have so many things to chat about and catch up on. I'd also thank her for passing on her love of words to me.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Don't give up! Learn. Write. Love the learning but most of all love the writing and have fun.

Thank you so much for having me, Vision and Verse.
It was our pleasure to have you here, Allison. Thank you for the lovely interview and glimpse into the world of Scottish historical romance.  Best of luck to you in all you do, Allison, and come back to see us when the new book comes out. 

Links?
My contact links are -

Website -  www.allison-butler.com

Facebook - Facebook Allison Butler-Author

Twitter - @AllisonButler17

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Border-Lairds-Bride-ebook/dp/B00BEBSN6C/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360630063&sr=1-7&keywords=allison+butler

iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/border-lairds-bride/id602053527?mt=11

Publisher - http://www.destinyromance.com/products/9781743480731/border-laird-s-bride



5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the wonderful interview and for the good wishes, Vision and Verse. It has been a true privilege for me and I'd love to come back. I hope you enjoy reading The Border Laird's Bride.
    Best wishes,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was our pleasure. I can't wait to read your book. I love Scottish anything!
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I love everything Scottish, too:)
      Hugs,
      Allison

      Delete
  3. Super interview Allison and Carol:) I can thoroughly recommend The Border Laird's Bride as a fabulous read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words and for popping in, Alissa Callen:) You're a Gem xx

      Delete