Tuesday, December 17, 2013

An Author Interview with Craig Hart

Craig Hart
Rockford, IL

Good morning, Craig!  Welcome to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors.  What have you written? 
I have most recently published a book for writers called “The Writer’s Tune-Up Manual” and a book of poetry called “The Magician of Wrigley Street.”

What is your favorite genre to write? 
Literary fiction is what I do the most.

Favorite food. 
Catfish.  Fried, of course.

Tea or coffee?
Tea

Pizza or ice cream? 
Pizza

Where would you like to visit? 
Many places! But first up is Paris.

Favorite musical artist. 
 It varies some by mood, but I love Frank Sinatra!

Do you listen to music when you write? 
I used to listen to a lot of music while I wrote, although not as much anymore. When I was still doing it, I would play movie soundtracks and choose pieces that fit the mood of the scene I was trying to write. Occasionally, I will still do that.

What makes you laugh?
Oh, everything from Mark Twain to “Family Guy.” A guilty pleasure is watching the parts on “America’s Funniest Home Videos” that show people falling down. It’s terrible, but I can’t help myself. Karma got me back a few days ago, however, by making me take a header in a crowded parking lot.

How old were you when you started writing?
Mid-teens, I would say. Fifteen or sixteen was when I really caught the bug.

Describe your perfect evening. 
A summer evening, crickets, patio, and a beverage.

Where do you get your inspiration? 
Wherever I can. It tends to sneak up on me. If I’m looking for it, I can’t find it. If I stop looking, it usually shows up unexpectedly. Which is why I have begun carrying a pen and notebook with me.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
A lot of my writer’s block is stress-related, it seems, so I try to back away from whatever is causing the issue. Usually it’s my work-in-progress. Sometimes just taking a break and working on something else will help me break through on the original manuscript. Giving your subconscious a chance to work can do wonders.

Who is your favorite author?
Currently? Ernest Hemingway.

Best book you ever read.
Oh, man. That’s a tough question, so don’t hold me to this answer. I loved “On Writing” by Stephen King. It is possibly the best craft book I’ve yet read.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why? One person?
Just one?! Hmmm, probably Winston Churchill, because he did so many different things. Not all of them well, mind you, but he would be a fascinating conversationalist.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? Do it for the art’s sake, not the money. And if you have to wonder if you should be a writer, then it’s possible you should not be. Not a hard and fast rule, of course, but writing should be something that chooses you. It shouldn’t be something you can take or leave at will.

Do you have any links for us?
SOCIAL LINKS
My website: www.craighartonline.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craighartwriter

BOOK LINKS
The Writer’s Tune-Up Manual: http://www.amazon.com/The-Writers-Tune-up-Manual-ebook/dp/B00DPEHPR4/
The Magician of Wrigley Street: http://www.amazon.com/Magician-Wrigley-Street-Craig-Hart-ebook/dp/B00F21L6Q4/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the interview! I appreciate it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU for taking time out of your busy schedule to be with us! Come back and visit with us again Craig, you are delightful.
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete