Monday, May 8, 2017

Echo of Heartbreak, A Recipe for Life: An Excerpt



A Letter to My Unborn Daughter

Hi, Sweetie! 
I’m your mama.  My name is Melina Valentina Rossetti Rosemont.  I’m thirty-three years old.  I’m a geneticist at the Harborton University Hospital.  I work in the Lab.  I am of Italian descent and a married an Englishman, the brilliant and handsome Dr. Ethan John Rosemont, who is a thirty-one year old English Literature professor at Harborton University.  We say the alphabet threw us together, because Harborton University insisted on us sitting alphabetically at all university meetings.  I hope you inherit his thick, gorgeous, blonde wavy hair and tallness and my brown eyes and sense of humor. 
And I have a very serious heart condition.  They say it needs attention yesterday.  But others in my family had the same condition and had full, productive, long lives without submitting to the knife.    So there is a very real possibility, honey, that while you’re on your way into the world, I’m on my way out.  But this is my choice.  Today all we talk about is choice, but usually the choice is to choose not to carry to full term.  That is not the choice I am making.  I choose to do this.  I choose you.
Now, there are a few things I’ve learned along the way to this point in my life, and although I completely give you permission to make your own mistakes, you might want to avoid some of the same ones I made and make a few new and interesting ones of your own!
So, consider this a recipe book.  Yes, I’m going to include some of our favorite family recipes.  But it’s also a recipe for living, for a full and happy life.

1.  It doesn’t matter what others think of you.  It matters what YOU think of you.  Wow!  If I had only figured this one out earlier!  I spent all of my high school and half of my college years trying to fit into a mold that – just didn’t fit me.  
2.  Don’t let anyone tell you that you CAN’T do something, even Ethan Rosemont, your father, unless it’s a safety issue, like running with pointy scissors.  Then you should listen to him.

3.  Love comes in all sizes, shapes, and colors.  Don’t overlook potential best friends or lovers because they are different.  Your father’s grandma didn’t like Italians.  She missed out on knowing and loving a lot of wonderful people with such closed vision.  And a whole lot of great dinner invitations and Christmas eves with the thirteen kinds of fishes, and...

Amazon Link: Echo of Heartbreak http://tinyurl.com/n2eblyu 

No comments:

Post a Comment