Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Interview with Author Deanna Kinney

  
Deanna Kinney
North Carolina


Welcome to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors.  It's a pleasure to have you here this morning.  Now, tell me.what have you written?
My titles: Charity Moon (Charity Series Book 1), Charity Rising (Charity Series Book 2), Raven’s Rose (Charity Series Book 3), Loving Lily Lavender, Exposing Kitty Langley, Box of Gaza, and Sammy the Sea Cow Makes a New Friend (A Children’s Book) Whew!!

What is your favorite genre to write?
I mostly write Young Adult because I love the idea of entertaining young readers and bringing smiles to their faces without putting all the smut in their heads. In other words, my work is relatively clean but also very entertaining. Can I say that about my own work, lol? But I have just recently published my first children’s book and have fallen in love!!
Favorite food.
Oh, that’s an easy one…spaghetti. The only hard part is getting the spelling right. I’m so dependent on spellcheck. 
Where would you like to visit?
I don’t aim high. I really want to visit Charleston S.C. I want to stay in a lovely Victorian Bed & Breakfast and tour all the historic sites. Maybe for my next anniversary…too bad my husband’s not reading this.



I will email his a copy.  Favorite musical artist.  Do   you listen to music when you write?  What?I love me some Skillet. But no, I have too much noise in my house to begin with. If I listened to music too, I’d never be able to think at all. 

What makes you laugh?
I laugh at my own writings. Is that crazy? Yes…crazy…that’s me. I also laugh at my kids. They’re just so quirky…like me.

How old were you when you started writing?
I wrote poetry as a child, but I didn’t start writing novels until about 5 years ago. It’s a great but very long story. You might have to have me back for that one. 

Okay.  Com back in November and tell us all about it.  Where do you get your inspiration?
That’s another easy one. My kids. But my fans also inspire me when they share what they would like to read about next. For example, when I wrote Book 3 of the Charity Series, I wrote that it was the last one, but my fans wouldn’t have it and now I’m working on the next one, lol.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
I usually put my work away and pick up a book. Sometimes just getting my head out of my own work is enough to get my mind back in the game. The break can be good to clear away all the cobwebs.

Who is your favorite author?
I have many, most of whom, like me, are Indie authors. We help and support each other. But my all-time favorite probably would be Jude Deveraux. 

I love Jude Deveraux, too!  Best book you ever read.
Jude Deveraux’s A Knight in Shining Armor…love that book!!

Yes, me, too.  Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
My mom. She passed her creative spirit to me, and we often spend hours talking about new ideas for books. We are now actually working on something together. 

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why? 
God, though technically I guess He’s not a person. Boy, if I could pick His brain for a few minutes I’d have a lot of questions to ask, like what really happened to the dinosaurs? And did Adam and Eve have belly buttons, and important stuff like that. (I’m kidding. I would ask Him important stuff too).

Coffee or tea
I'm a southern girl all the way through, so I drink a little tea with my sugar.

Beer or ice cream.
I don't drink beer.  I have enough chaos in my life without adding drinking to the mix.

So, I'll take that as a vote for ice cream.  Describe your perfect date night.
The perfect date night for me would be dinner at an Italian restaurant and a scary movie.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? 
I would say to never give up, and don’t let the negative reviews (assuming you have any) get you down. Learn from them and let them make you a better writer. But totally ignore the nasty ones. Some people, no matter what you write, will just not like it. That is their right, but it doesn’t have to knock you down. If you are pleased with your work, ultimately that’s all that matters. 





Thank you so much for allowing me to interview with you. Please check out my work, but be warned, I am a quirky writer and my work reflects that truth, lol.
Judging by this interview, I think we're going to like you and your work very much.  Here at Vision and Verse, we like "out of the box."  Please come back again.

Links?

Website: http://deannakinney.wix.com/deannakinney
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Deanna-Kinney-author/132287813594814
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5824197.DeAnna_Kinney
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/DeAnna-Kinney/e/B007VEAU7Q/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

No comments:

Post a Comment