Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Interview with Author Mellie George

 Mellie George
Indiana, USA



Welcome, Mellie, to Vision and Verse, the place for Art and Authors.  We're happy to have you here with us this morning.  Tell us, what have you written?
 Say Yes (Glenbrook Girls Series), Back To Life, and the
upcoming novella Rebel (part one in a four part series)

What is your favorite genre to write?
Steamy romance

Favorite food.
Pizza. LOTS of pizza, lol. It’s my eternal weakness.

Where would you like to visit?
I would love to travel around the US and see places I haven’t seen like New York City, New Orleans, Boston, Chicago, and Las Vegas.

Favorite musical artist.
Wow, that’s like asking me which child is my favorite! I am a rock chick at heart and my favorite bands right now are Memphis May Fire, Saving Abel, and Shinedown. I also surprisingly am loving the heck out of Lady Gaga’s new stuff, and I will admit I crank up the radio when Katy Perry’s new song comes on.

Do you listen to music when you write?  What? 
I definitely listen to music when I write. In fact, my second book “Back To Life” includes a playlist of all the music I listened to and what inspired me to write and shape the character of Rory. My first novella, “Rebel”, will have a playlist attached as well. I don’t have one in Say Yes, but I am thinking of going back and adding one since I get asked that question a lot. I tend to listen to music I think my characters would listen to while I am shaping them.

What makes you laugh?
My friends (including my work family who I adore so much), and anything from Family Guy. Seriously…funniest show EVER.



How old were you when you started writing?
I wrote my first short story when I was eleven, actually. It was a story about a figure skater and her partner. (The Cutting Edge was a big movie at the time, lol.) I wrote a lot through high school too, but I began writing “Say Yes” in October of 2012 and I seriously considered publishing it that December.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I am a hairstylist, so I get a lot of inspiration from hearing about my customers love lives, lol. I am also a sucker for a good love story, so I just write about what I would love to read about.

What do you do when you get a writer's block?
Step away from the computer and read a good book. I also listen to different kinds of music or watch sappy movies…anything that can help me get the creative juices flowing again. I also sometimes step away from my current WIP and work on a different one. It helps to get out of one person’s head and dive into another.


Who is your favorite author? 
Oh man…this is hard. I don’t think I have one favorite, but the authors I have loved and whose books have stayed with me are Jay Crownover, Terri Anne Browning, Sophie Monroe, and Molly McAdams.

Best book you ever read.
Again, a hard question. I absolutely loved Rule by Jay Crownover, I love Terri Anne Browning’s “The Rocker” series but my favorite of the series so far was “The Rocker That Needs Me” (Book 3). Both of those chicks are crazy talented and they are who inspired me to put myself out there and self publish.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
I have many people that have influenced me, but I honestly I have to credit my new friends I have met through Facebook as the ones who have the biggest influence on me recently. I have met some incredible lifelong friends on there that never fail to support me and will listen to me cry all the while encouraging me to let it all roll off my back and keep going. They know who they are, lol.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
Oh wow…I think I’d love spend a couple of hours with John Lennon. I’d love to get inside his brilliant mind and just talk about anything and everything.

What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
The biggest advice I can give is don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Not everyone is going to like you and you have to be okay with that. Do bad reviews hurt? Absolutely. I think I cried when I got my first bad one, lol. (It was freaking brutal). However, for every one person that doesn’t like your books there are one hundred people that do and would follow you and your books anywhere. Learn to take constructive criticism, but don’t ever put up with cruelty and bullying. Let it roll off your back and keep on moving with your head held high. Don’t write because you want to be liked, write because it’s what you love, even if it’s crap. Be proud of your crap!!! Lol


Links to my books on Amazon:
Back To Life (US): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EIPG5IE
Back To Life (UK): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EIPG5IE

Say Yes (US): http://www.amazon.com/Say-Glenbrook-Girls-Series-ebook/dp/B00D4BFUXO/ref=pd_sim_kstore_2
Say Yes (UK): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Say-Glenbrook-Girls-Series-ebook/dp/B00D4BFUXO/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1380404607&sr=1-2


Links to my books on Barnes & Noble:

Back To Life: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/back-to-life-mellie-george/1116480253?ean=2940148443506&itm=1&usri=2940148443506

Say Yes: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/say-yes-mellie-george/1116812649?ean=2940148806486&itm=1&usri=2940148806486

Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-Mellie-George/329475417182667?bookmark_t=page

Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/AuthorMellieG  @AuthorMellieG










1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Mellie, for stopping by and chatting with us this morning. We at Vision and Verse wish you continued success in all your endeavors. Please come back and see us again.
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete