Friday, November 22, 2013

Interview with Poet-Author Brandy Cross

WINTER IN ME
by Brandy Cross


There’s nothing soft about the leaves that fall
And winters chill it takes them all                                             Brandy Cross
Another night all alone
I guess that’s why it’s broken

And I could almost feel
The softness of your skin
And wonder what it would be like
To hold you close and then.

The frost that sets in
As the day turns into night
Wake up in the morning
And nothing makes it right
Because it’s become a part of you
Nothing left that you can do

And I could almost feel
The softness of your skin
And wonder what it would be like
To hold you close and then

This house is not my home
It merely holds me in
And love it’s not that close to me
Too far away to ever be

Sit and watch  the leaves that fell a long time ago
Autumn  rain has turned  into the cold of winter snow
A little shiver at the sight of ice on the tree
I’ll cover up, and  try to hide,  the winter in me


Welcome to Vision and Verse, Brandy.  What have you written?
I actually write for a living as a copywriter, it's the best job ever but I've written for way too many websites to count. So far I'm about three quarters of the way through a sci-fi novel that I'm putting on hold for NaNoWriMo and about to start a little Fantasy/Horror book that I promised my sister I would write for her.

What is your favorite genre to write?
 Definitely Sci-Fi.


Favorite food?
Tough… I'm going to go with strawberries.


Where would you like to visit?
 Egypt, I've always been fascinated with it.


Favorite musical artist?  Do you listen to music when you write?  What?
My favorite artist is Guns n Roses (a bit old school I know) but yes I listen to music when I write, and the what depends on the mood. I've got everything from Wagner to Cradle of Filth, but  mostly I do tend to stick right around the classic rock area. Music is a great way to relax no matter what you're doing really.


What makes you laugh?
 Humor… what was I supposed to say?  I'm pretty easy, I laugh at almost everything, even when it's not funny.

How old were you when you started writing?
I wrote a crappy one page story about a unicorn when I was 7 (in color pencil), my parents flipped out like it was the best thing ever and I've been hooked ever since.

Where do you get your inspiration?
Actually it really depends. The alien book that i wrote and am editing now I sort of got bits and pieces of that from a nightmare about being attacked by a giant flying squid and the one I'm writing for November, my sister asked me what was the most horrible awful psychological thing I could come up with, and that was that. Inspiration comes in all shapes and sizes, I once wrote a poem/song based on sitting in a swing watching leaves fall.


What do you do when you get a writer's block?
I drink tea (of course I do that anyway), write something else, stare at the screen in abject despair, or do kickboxing. (my handwriting is too awful to make long term writing in notebooks feasible, although my first two novels were written that way and remain that way).


Who is your favorite author?
I'm a book junkie, there is no one best author. But I'll give it a shot. Tanya Huff-Orson Scott Card-Jim Butcher-Mercedes Lackey-Stephen King-Dean Koontz-Terry Goodkind….okay I should stop now.


Best book you ever read.
 While I could not honestly say there has been 'one best book' but I guess I could say that one of the first 'adult' books I read (I was 9) was Madeleine L'engal's 'A Wrinkle in Time' and it was what made me want to write.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
I would have to say myself. That may sound stuck up or egotistical or something but I know there have been a lot of people who had a huge impact on my life but I think that at the end of the day I made some really major decisions and ended up going my own way. Sometimes it's the only way to go to be happy.


If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
That would probably be Tanya Huff, although there are I'm sure there are more worthy persons out there, she just strikes me as someone who's really decent, down to earth, and probably a blast to talk to.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer?
Press pages. Create a press page with your plot before you even think about writing a book because it will help you in the middle of the book when you've sailed past your inspiration and into the muddling realm of not knowing what to write next. I guess I would have to say that there is no one right way to write a book (say that out loud five times really fast) but that you shouldn't be afraid to edit your book like your former 12th grade English teacher is about to go over it in front of your entire High School class. There can actually be a big gap between how good something is when you first write it, and how it reads to you a month or two down the road. Also, remember to have fun, it's just a book.

Thank you for being with us this morning, Brandy.  Good luck in all your writing endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment