Friday, April 11, 2014

ANOTHER FAVORITE POST FROM THE FIRST YEAR OF V&V, JUNE 8, 2013

This was one of Carol's first interviews for the blog.  It is one of my favorites as I found Shirley McElhaney to be an utter delight.....and an especially talented artist..



Shirley A McElhaney
Kinsman,  OH
 
 
At what age did you know you wanted to be an artist?

     Always

What medium do you prefer to work in?

     I am a mixed media artist, but currently love working with caustics.

Favorite food.

     I have several favorites, among them pasta.

Favorite color.

     Tangerine, lime, seafoam.

Favorite musical artist.

     Rod Stewart

How old were you when you started making art?

     I remember creating art at five years old.

Where would you like to visit?

     Wow!  Cuba, Iceland, Italy, and France... and here in the USA.

Where do you get your inspiration?

     Everything is an inspiration, the air, the clouds, my Susie Q, people, colors.

What do you do when you get artist's block?

     In my studio, I'll read or go for a walk.  Sometimes just "be".

Who is your favorite artist?

     Wow!  That's a hard one.  There are so many--- and each for a different reason.

What is your favorite painting?

     "The Kiss" is one, but I have more than one favorite.

What is your favorite sculpture?

     David

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?

     Attorney Craig H. Neuman.  He has supported every single thing I have done since 1972 and given me guidance.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?

     My personality is so varied, that could change within the hour, but at this moment it would be Jackson Pollock or Ernest Hemingway.

Where can we see some of your work?

     I am currently represented by two galleries: The Sandpiper Gallery in the Historic Bridge District, Ashtabula, OH and 
Gallery 29, 146 E. State Street, Winner Arts and Cultural Center, Sharon, PA.  I also currently have "The Solace" and "The Art of Healing" exhibit at The Hoyt Institute and Center for the Arts, Leasure Ave., New Castle, PA.  I also have six pieces in The Rochester Contemporary Center for the Arts, 6X6x2013 Annual Exhibit, Rochester, NY.  I have thirteen pieces at the Tanique Gallery in New Zealand.  There's a handmade memoir book, entitled "A Memoir~Bits and Pieces And Random Thoughts" for exhibit at the Brooklyn Library of Art in NY.   "Dreaming Italy" is in the Annual National Collage Society's Post Card Exhibit in Kent, OH this year.  I have three pieces that will be in the Chautauqua Institution's Annual Visual Art's Exhibit August 4 - 21, 2013.  I also have an solo exhibit at the Geneva Lodge, date to be announced.     

What advise would you give someone who aspired to be an artist?

     Just do it!  Don't even think about whether  you think it's good or not -- your art is you!!!

Are you available for Speaking Engagements?

     Yes, and I conduct a class, "Discovering and Rediscovering Your Creative Self."  And I am also booking solo exhibits for 2014.

Website?

     http:www.ShirleyAMaElhaneyStudio.com.
     My blog is there, called "One Artist's Journey."

Facebook?
     
     Yes, both a personal profile and a studio page.  Also LinkedIN.  And online exhibit at New York Artists Online under mixed media.


No comments:

Post a Comment