Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Interview with Author Jared McVay


Jared McVay
Actor, Writer, Storyteller


Good morning, Jared, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the Place for Art and Authors.  Tell us a little about yourself, like where do you live?
Where do i live? humm, good question.  Since my wife passed away three years ago, I've just been floating around. At present, I am house setting in the upper area of Washington state, just six miles from the Canadian border for a fan of mine who is chasing around the world, trying to find herself, while I finish my new book. From here, who knows?





What have I written?
Let's see, over a hundred short stories [some award winners] ghost writer for several screenplays, several screenplays of my own, a two hour pilot for a new television series, a children's book - Bears, Bicycles & Broomsticks, with eleven short stories I've written for telling events, a historical fiction novel, The Legend of Joe, Willy & Red - five star rated by both men and women. a western novel, Hackers Raid - finalist for the Laramie Award, coming out very soon, an action adventure novel, Not On My Mountain. This list doesn't count the magazine articles or newspaper columns, or other non-fiction I've written.










What is your favorite genre to write?
I write is anything and everything, fiction, but I guess my favorite would be western fiction. I've just started a new western book while waiting for Not On My Mountain to come back from the editor.

Favorite food.
Carol, I'm an ole country boy. Steak, fired potatoes, navy beans and big slices of onion, with some hot peppers on the side, with carrot cake for desert.

Sounds good.  Tea or coffee?
Once again, I'm also an ole Navy man. Coffee, black.

Pizza or ice cream?
Pizza first then ice cream for desert

Where would I like to visit?
Good question. I've been in 3/4 of the countries on this planet,,, Maybe a foreign planet?

Favorite musical artist?
Most anybody country. Although I appreciate classical, big band and 50's rock and roll

Do I listen to music when I write?
No. I like it quiet so I don't get distracted. I would get up and get my guitar and sit and play along instead of writing.

Favorite work of art?
 My departed wife was an artist, and a good one. Two of hers are my favorite.

What makes me laugh?
Many things. A well told joke, sight comedy [Tim Conway, the best at it] Sometime just a thought of the weird situations I've found myself in.

How old was I when started writing?
Humm, That would be,,, back in 1955 if I recollect correctly. That would have made me, 15 years old.

Describe my perfect evening.
A moonlit patio with a sky full of stars, Soft music coming from inside, a wonderful meal and conversation with a woman I care for, dancing close, and finally, making love until dawn.  

It's getting a little warm in here, Jared.  Tell me where do you get your inspiration?
Good question. From anywhere and everywhere. I watched a movie about hobos, and wrote The Legend of Joe, Willy & Red.  My wife said, "Why don't you write a western?"  Hacker's Raid. A thought will pop into my head and walla, a short story is born. A lady suggested I write and enter a short story based on love, for a contest held up in N. Carolina. Melinda, Grand Prize winner.

What do you do when you get writers block?
Writers block? What's that. Never had it, don't want it. 

Who is my favorite author?
Whoa! That's asking a question that can't be answered in one name. So many different genres and so many authors. I like anyone in any genre who writes a story that keeps me turning the pages.  

What's the best book you ever read?
That's like the last question. What genre. I will say I'm a big western fan.

What one person has influenced your personal life the most and why?
The one person who has influenced my personal life the most, would be a man named Gene Warren, who is no longer with us. I was a tough kid, living on the streets for two years and at the age of 16, he took me in, gave me a job, and taught me about life and responsibilities - even taught me to tie a necktie. I didn't necessarily take his advice right off, but over the years, I still find myself using the things he tried to fit into my thick skull.

If you sit down and have a conversation with any one person, living or dead, real or fictitious, who would it be.
If I could sit down and talk to someone, living or dead; I think that would have to be Benjamin Franklin, or John Wayne.

Do you have any advice to aspiring writers?
First and foremost, I don't give advice because everyone doesn't necessarily believe as I do, so I just toss out what makes me tick and let them choose for themselves. Me... I just followed my dreams until I made them happen.  Just a note. I'm just an ole country boy who loves to spin a tale who has been lucky enough to find men and women from all over the world and all walks of life who likes the way I tell a story.  Thanks for having me here this morning.



Do you have some links for us to follow you?
Yes, I do!
Website:  www.jaredmcvay.com
Amazon Author Page:  http://www.amazon.com/Jared McVay/e/B0060B8M8Q

Jared McVay
Actor, Writer, Storyteller
Novels, Children's Books
Blog:  Jared's Scribblings

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for being with us this morning, Jared. You are delightful. We here at Vision and Verse wish you continued success in all your writing endeavors.
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the interview. You made me look good. I'm sure, like the other authors you interview, we appreciate you and what you do.
    Here's hoping you great success in the future.

    ReplyDelete