Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Interview with Urban Fantasy Author Rachel Rawlings



Rachel Rawlings
Ellicott City, MD

Good morning, Rachel, and welcome to Vision and Verse, the place for Art and Authors. Can you tell us a little about what you're written? The Maurin Kincaide Series, 
Jax Rhoades Duology and
Sherri 2.0, a horror short

What is your favorite genre to write? 
I love Urban Fantasy. It’s my favorite genre to read as well.

Favorite food. 
Seafood, especially my husband’s Drunken Clams!

Tea or coffee? 
Coffee, definitely coffee.

Pizza or ice cream? 
Probably ice cream. I love pizza but it has to be thin, NY style and there’s a shortage of that around my house.

Wine or beer? 
Wine, unless cider counts as beer, lol.

Where would you like to visit? 
Ireland! It’s my number one bucket list destination.

Favorite musical artist.  
Do you listen to music when you write?  
What? 
This is tough! I love so many different types of music, but going for all-time favorite it would have to be Nine Inch Nails. I’m not writing with music right now, but I usually do. Nico Vega was on repeat when I wrote Paid In Full.



What makes you laugh? 
My husband. We have very similar sarcastic senses of humor. He makes me laugh every day.

That's the sign of a good husband. Favorite work of art or sculpture. Gargoyles by Michael Parks

How old were you when you started writing?
I started writing in middle school, mostly poems and incomplete stories. I didn’t sit down and complete my first novel until I was thirty-three.

Describe your perfect evening. 
I love sitting outside with a fire in the fire pit and a cold cider.

Where do you get your inspiration?
Just about anywhere. The idea for Payable On Death came when I heard a song by the Pretty Reckless on the radio driving to work.

What do you do when you get a writer's block? 
Read! I think reading is the best inspiration. It reminds you that writing and completing a book are possible – this author did it, so can I.

Who is your favorite author? 
Anne Rice

Best book you ever read. 
Little Women

Last book you read. 
A Perri Jean Mace mystery by Catie Rhodes

What would you do for a living if you weren’t a writer?
I manage two hair salons for my mother by day, but when I was younger I wanted to be a lawyer.

Who is the one person who has influenced your personal life the most and why?
My husband. He’s spent years teaching me how to cook- an effort in futility, lol. Taught me to change my oil, tires… the list is endless. We married young and so many of the things I can do are because he taught me how. It’s a good feeling to know that you can do something yourself when you have to.

If you could sit down and have a conversation with ONE person, living or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and why?
Stephen King or Anne Rice because they’ve mastered their craft and hold a wealth of knowledge on writing. I’d love to just pick their brains for an hour.


What advice would you give someone who aspired to be a writer? Keep writing. One sentence, one paragraph, one chapter. Before you know it, you have a book. First drafts are for errors and working out the kinks. Don’t let them trip you up.

Do you have some links for us to follow you?

No comments:

Post a Comment